This sandwich idea has it all. Light and refreshing. Healthy and satisfying. Fast and simple to make. Try it today for a no-cooking lunch or dinner.
It’s summer. I don’t know why but I thought I would have more time to relax when Summer arrived. Longer days, no homeschool, loosy-goosy schedule. But I feel just as busy- if not more.
I don’t want to spend a lot of time or brain power on dinner time. My husband, Nathan, is naturally gifted with knowing how flavors and spices will go together. He can whip up the tastiest things, seemingly out thin air. And using things I never would have thought to put together.
Watch the video here:
This is one of his most recent recipes and it has already become a family favorite. Our kids like it because they said it sort of reminds them of sushi.
Don’t let that scare you if you don’t like sushi!
I think it’s because it has ginger paste and sweet chili sauce. There’s no raw meat and I promise there’s no seaweed anywhere.
I like to make it because everyone likes it, it’s easy, and it’s so fast that I can add it to the “I-forgot-I-have-to-make-dinner-and-it-was-dinner-time-30-minutes-ago-how-does-it-still-sneak-up-on-me?” list of recipes I keep for quick meals.
Scroll down for the printable recipe card 🙂
Let me show you how to make it.
A Delicious Summer Sandwich Idea
Peel and grate a medium carrot. Throw it in a gallon bag and microwave for 30 seconds.
Peel and slice and cucumber.
We had some ready in our garden so I was able to grab one and use it fresh. All the credit for our garden producing food this year goes to our kids. They water and weed it. I always have good intentions but it rarely turns into action when it comes to gardening.
Dice a medium onion.
Toast some bread and add a generous amount of mayo to either side.
Add a pea-sized amount of ginger paste to one side and spread it evenly.
Place four or five slices of cucumber on the side with the ginger.
Sprinkle about two tablespoons of diced onions on the cucumbers.
Spread about a 1/4 cup of shredded carrot on the onion.
Drizzle a generous tablespoon of Sweet Chili Sauce on the shredded carrots.
On the other slice of toast, place 7 slices of ham, folded in half. Cram them in close so you can fit them all in there.
Carefully close the sandwich up and cut in half.
I like to have some extra chili sauce to dip the sandwich as I’m eating.
You might like some of my other posts:
Don’t forget to pin it!
Print it for later 🙂
Summer Ham and Veggie Sandwich
This sandwich is light, refreshing, and satisfying. The ham and veggies combine to make a filling and healthy meal that takes only minutes to whip up!
- 8 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 28 slices ham lunch meat
- Peel and grate one medium carrot. Put this into a bag and microwave for 30 seconds to soften slightly.
- Dice half of a medium onion.
- Peel and slice one cucumber.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread a generous amount of mayo on two pieces of toast.
- On one slice, add a pea-sized amount of ginger paste and spread evenly. (About 1/4 of a teaspoon)
- Place 4 or 5 slices of cucumber on the ginger paste.
- Sprinkle on a couple of tablespoons of chopped onion onto the cucumber.
- Spread about a 1/4 cup of shredded carrot onto the chopped onions.
- Pour a generous tablespoon of sweet chili sauce over the shredded carrots.
- Place 7 slices of ham onto the other piece of toast, over the mayo. Fold each slice in half and place them in a row, overlapping each other.
- Close the sandwich together and cut in half.
- Enjoy with extra sweet chili sauce to dip!
If you don't like raw onions, you can microwave them in a bowl with a tablespoon of butter until they are translucent.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 2160mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 29g
I hope you’re having a great day and you feel loved! Thanks for stopping by!
Leave a Reply